Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On the Receiving End


We have a security guard here in Costa Rica who rides around our neighborhood on a bike. It is a very normal thing here, and they are mainly here to make sure our houses aren’t burglarized. There are actually four for our area. They each have their own six hour shift so one is always patrolling.
They don’t work for free however. Our friend here gave us the heads up that one of them my come calling for the fee, and one did recently. It was kind of late one night and we heard the doorbell ring (there is a door bell button at the gate too). Amie and I figured it was probably our security guard because we had just heard his whistle right before the doorbell rang (they blow their whistle every so often to let you know they are patrolling and that all is well).
So, I went down to the gate and opened the door to find a man on a bike smiling. He was dressed normal and had a whistle hanging from his jeans. It was the security guard and I greeted him with an “hola, como estas?” He began speaking very rapidly to me in Spanish of course. I told him (with poor Spanish, hand motions, etc.) that I was sorry but I didn’t understand him and that he was speaking too rapidly for me. Thankfully, he understood what I was trying to say to him. I breathed a sigh of relief and then expected to hear very simple and slow Spanish from that point on. To my surprise he said the exact same thing in the exact same way at the exact same speed. After this happened about two more times all over again he then just began to say it louder, as if that would help.
At that point I remembered how in the past I had sometimes thought of people in the States who came there not knowing how to speak English. To my shame, I almost viewed them as unintelligent. I also remembered how I had seen (and probably done myself) people speaking English loudly to Latino people. Now I was on the receiving end. I was the one in the Spanish speaking country knowing little Spanish. It was frustrating and I knew I was coming off as an idiot though I wasn’t (I hope I’m not).
This event gave me a strong desire, once I learn Spanish, to want to help those I may meet in the future at a Wal-Mart or who I see struggling to speak English with the pharmacist or whatever.
In the end, the security guard in fact was coming to collect for the fee. Since our conversation went on in a bog of confusion for about fifteen minutes, once he received the payment he said “gracius” and rode away. Our house’s safety was secured for a little longer and a lesson was secured in my mind for life.
“The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.” Leviticus 19:34