Sunday, December 14, 2008

Update on Julio

If you receive our newsletters you recently read about my friend Julio. About 2 weeks ago I gave him a Spanish NIV Bible with commentary notes by Matthew Henry. I also gave him a booklet on how to study the Bible and another on the history of the Bible. Oh, and I also gave him a bag of coffee of course. Hey, it's Costa Rica, coffee is a part of life.

Upon receiving his gifts he was totally taken back. He was so thankful and probably told me so about 10 times before I left. I was shocked to find out that he didn't even own a Bible. I was even that much more thankful to God that He put it on my heart to buy him one.

We had a long and very good conversation in which he shared with me from his past, the good and the bad. He understands that he's a sinner, and he does have a reverence for the Word of God. He was raised Catholic but is not saved. He said he would read his Bible, and I encouraged him in that.

As for the update part of this blog, I recently went into his video store to rent our traditional Friday night movie. He wasn't there but his sister told me that he had the night off. Upon looking around I noticed that the "erotica" section that I despise was now gone. I double checked all the video stands to make sure he didn't just re-arrange things. Sure enough, it was gone.

Understand, I'm not excited about moral change in society for the sake of morality. I'm hoping that this change is the fruit of a changed heart. We will see. I won't get too excited until I talk to him in person and ask him, but please pray that the Lord will convict and save Julio from His sins. Pray that he will place his trust in Jesus Christ alone as the One who absorbed the wrath of God on his behalf. Lord willing Julio already has.

No comments: