Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bruised Coffee and an Earthquake



We were invited over to our friend's house recently. They are originally from Columbia but have lived in Costa Rica now for 7+ years. The wife, Inez, prepared some implenadas (I think that is what they are called) for us. Implenadas are fried pastries with meat and veggies and such inside. Mmmm, que rico (how delicious).

Elisabeth, who is the mother of the husband (Guido) was also there. She asked me how I liked my coffee. What I wanted to say was, "Negro con poquito azucar" (black with a little bit of sugar). What I said was, "Negro con poquito azul" (black with a little bit of blue). We all laughed at my blunder, even me. Azucar and azul are similar, but not that similar.

Later that night after we ate and were talking there was a small earthquake. Thankfully it only lasted about 2 seconds, but being from Alabama it was a little shocking. Earthquakes are pretty common here. Most are so small you can't even feel them. It is good if we have a lot of little ones, because it keeps the pressure from building. If we were not to have any for a month or so, we could probably expect a biggy. So, keep coming little ones.