Monday, July 4, 2011

Cold Splash of Reality

A few nights ago, around 11:30, Amie and I were about to relax and watch a movie when we heard some commotion out on the street in front of our house. A neighbor and her family were arguing over something. Knowing someone needed to intervene I went out and asked, "Everything ok?" (My question whenever I see some public disagreement that needs to be settled.)

I quickly learned that the lady holding the baby was drunk and her family was trying to convince her to let be baby stay the night with another family member. She knows I'm a minister so she respects me. I was able to talk her and the others to calmness, but seeing her children have to be involved was heart wrenching. I could see the tears on the younger child's face and disgust on the older's while talking with them. I walked her and the children home after being assured they would all go to bed. I prayed for them, hugged them, and told them we'd talk more later. It was all pretty saddening.

Amie and I agreed that this was just a small preview of what takes place here all the time. I noticed just two days ago that a new bar opened up in town. For a town of 6,000 people we probably have 10-15 bars and almost every village has a spot to buy alcohol. We agreed that poverty, broken families, the difficulty of making a living, coupled with the fact that most people here aren't saved is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, many here choose a temporary escape that takes more of their precious money and leaves them with more trouble, new regrets, bad memories, not to mention the headache. They're pushed farther away from the One they truly need as they continue to make bad choices. Only Christ can be their true escape from their true problem; Sin.

Sunday morning we invited the family to church with us. Only the older son came and he seemed very unhappy most the time. Belize needs Jesus so desperately!

No comments: