
Psalm 23
The LORD Is My Shepherd (with commentary from me)
A Psalm of David.
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
The word Pastor is connected with the word “shepherd.” In 1 Peter 5:1-2 Peter tells the elders (pastors) to “shepherd the flock of God”. And shepherd comes from two words; Sheep and herd. We are Yahweh’s sheep. Therefore, we have everything we need.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures.
The Lord Himself sees to it that I rest in lush green places of peace and plenty. “He makes me lie down” shows that He knows what and where is best for me, so in obeying Him I find my own good.
He leads me beside still waters.
In the same way, He makes me walk in certain places too. Places that are peaceful, nice, and refreshing.
3He restores my soul.
This reinforces what was just said about being refreshed and restored. But David has spiritual refreshing in mind more than physical locations that can only provide temporary refreshment.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
Again, He’s leading me as a Shepherd, showing me where to go. As I follow in obedience this will prove to be righteousness for me.
for His name’s sake.
He’s doing all this for my good, but the main reason is for His glory.
4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
Those “paths of righteousness” sometimes take me through the valley of the shadow of death. These will sanctify me and strengthen my trust in God (James 1:2-4).
I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
I don’t have to fear when my Shepherd leads me somewhere that seems frightening; He has me good in mind always (vv. 2-3). But the main reason David gives for not being fearful is the fact that God is with me. His rod of correction and staff of guidance are actually tools He uses along these dark paths to help me, and so they are a comfort to me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Now the mood changes from walking places with my Shepherd to sitting down; similar to the resting and eating of v. 2. Notice who’s serving who. Yahweh is preparing the table for me, as a servant would. The Lord is anointing my head (an act of service for a guest, see Luke 7:44-47). God is filling my cup. This is, of course, a preview of Jesus, the good Shepherd (John 10:14) who served His sheep before their meal (John 13).
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
As I, the sheep, follow the Lord I can expect something else to follow me. Because of my sheep to Shepherd relationship with the Lord I can expect goodness and mercy to follow me my whole life long.
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Lastly we learn that this lying down, leading, and sitting at the table is all taking place between He and I in a very special place. I am with my Shepherd in His house. And though I am being served like a guest, I am a permanent resident who will be with Him forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment