Of all the wonderful people I met on my trip to Maryland (and there were so many) Howie was the highlight. Howie (Howard) is 14 and lives with cerebral palsy. CP is a condition that causes physical disability, but there is absolutely nothing disabled with him mentally (all those who know him are smiling.)
So how did I meet Howie? Bob and Henrietta met me at the airport in her van. As I open the side door I saw a young man with a big friendly smile on his face. We begin to try to talk to each other. I say try because Howie's speech is a little slow and hard to decipher, but the more we talked the better I understood him. I was told I picked up on it better than others. I quickly learned that Howie was not your average 14 year old. Not because of his condition but because of his heart and his love of the Scriptures, doctrine, and theology.
We talked a long time (they all live about 1hr. 15min. from the airport), but one thing he said brought tears to my eyes. During the conversation he told me that he has CP. I said "Bummer." He said, "Don't say 'bummer'. I see it as a gift from God. God used my CP to draw me to Himself and save me." Wow, and from a 14 year old! I also learned later that Howie preaches occasionally. He's preached in other countries and has preached at their State Fair for the past three years. His cousin interprets for him.
We also laughed a lot together. On that same ride home he asked me, "How do you believe people were saved in the Old Testament?" Not knowing how much detail he wanted I gave him a general answer I would give to any 14 year old. He then backed me in a corner questioning me about whether or not faith precedes regeneration. I then understood that he was not just curious he was trying to find out where I stood theologically. We all laughed upon my discovery because they both knew Howie better than I did.
We were almost inseparable when he was around (he stays with Henrietta his grandmother 3 days out of a week). My last night there we went out on the front patio and stayed up late. It was a memorable time. We joked, talked general stuff like "What's your favorite...", we talked ministry, theology, and seminary. We just enjoyed being new friends.
On our way to the airport, especially as we were getting close, he would look over at me but not say a word. I would tell him, "I know buddy. I feel it too." We both wished we lived closer to each other, but comforted ourselves by reminding each other that we would meet in Belize someday. He wants to come and preach to the handicapped children we hope to be helping someday. It's a dream of his.
Howie was the highlight.
1 comment:
We have so much to learn from Howie! What a blessing it is to know him. I am so looking forward to getting to know him better!
Post a Comment