Of course the part of me that overrides any funny feelings is the part that knows I am so very blessed to be the father of 4 beautiful, healthy children. For that I'm very thankful. I love those kiddos.
I was also thankful today for the surprise that Pastor Gideon had for fathers this morning. Someone made garlands of flowers for all the fathers present in church today and Gideon honored us and read Joshua 1:9 to encourage us to be the fathers we should be, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." So that was nice.
After church Amie wanted to treat me to something special so we went to one of our favorite restaurants. Mmmm, Coleman's Cafe has some of the best rice, beans, and chicken with coleslaw on the side and fried plantains. Now that's a real Belizean Father's Day meal. Wait...that's actually an everyday meal in Belize.
One thing that was a little sad though is that the only fathers there to be honored was our pastor and the 3 missionary fathers who attend. Sadly, Belize isn't known for its men who step up and take responsibility as fathers. In fact, Amie and I were recently talking about how none of the children living on our street have a father in the home. None of them.
So on this father's day I'm thankful for being a father, I'm most thankful that I have a heavenly Father, and I'm reminded to pray that God would raise up Christian fathers in Belize.
I'd also like to give a big Happy Father's Day wish to my own dear father. I love you dad. You're the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment